Top 10 moving tips for a stress free move
Moving home is often one of the most stressful life events, but it’s also exciting too. Getting organised and being prepared will minimise your stress levels and make the day go smoothly. Here are some tips to help you have a hassle free moving day.
- Start packing as you are de-cluttering. Get rid of anything you don’t really want to keep before you move. The less you have to move to your new house, the better.
- Make sure you have plenty of tape, boxes, bubble wrap and anything else you will need to ensure everything arrives undamaged.
- Label all your boxes so you know which is urgent and what to leave until another day.
- Have an emergency box with you that contains your kettle, milk, nibbles and essentials. Also ensure it has a take away menu – the essential meal for moving home.
- Clean your property before you leave. Leave your home as you would want to find your new one.
- Don’t forget to note down your meter readings for the utility companies before you leave your ‘old’ home.
- Build your bed first; with all the excitement and stress you will be exhausted. Having then to make your bed is not fun, so make it first and have a decent nights sleep.
- Put together a small box of tools to go with your emergency box, including screwdrivers and allen keys.
- Make sure you research your removal company or van rental company so you know you will receive a quality service for you and your belongings. If you’re not using a removal firm, ask friends to help out on the day.
- Make arrangements for pets and children for the day of your move. Moving will be more stressful for them, so let them arrive when you are in your new home.